Today I am participating in a blog tour for the One Million Pillowcase Challenge. What is the One Million Pillowcase Challenge, you ask? The creative folks at American Patchwork & Quilting magazine and Quilts & More magazine, through their allpeoplequilt.com website, have challenged you and me to make a million pillowcases. We register our pillowcases on the website, and donate them to a charity of our choice. How are we doing? Well, we’re up to 430,300 – that’s a lot of comforting pillowcases! Give yourself a pat on the back if you have added any pillowcases to the tally.
Today I shall add 4 pillowcases to the count, because Susanne, my oh-so-talented piecer, and I made 4 pillowcases from a very special fabric collection coming to quilt shops next Spring. Northcott has designed our first collection in support of Quilts for Kids Inc., a charitable foundation creating quilts for children with life-threatening illnesses or those who have suffered from abuse. Quilts for Kids is one of the charities listed on allpeoplequilt.com for pillowcase donations, so the pillowcases that Susanne and I made will do double-duty – they will help raise funds for Quilts for Kids, and they will help allpeoplequilt.com reach their goal of one million pillowcases.
I chose 4 of the free patterns on the allpeoplequilt.com website, and matched up colors from Stonehenge Team Spirit to the main print from Old MacDonald. Let’s take a look at them: I used Pattern 5, with the prairie point band, using red prairie points on a green band. Prairie points and farm fields are made for each other, don’t you think? Then I chose orange geese in a dark blue sky (Pattern 10 Flying Geese band) for the second one, pulling out the bright colors in the Old MacDonald print.
And what else but Pattern 27 Churn Dash for the fourth band in pretty pastel shades against a black ground? For this band, we used 4 Freckles textures on a solid black ColorWorks ground. You will be able to see the Old MacDonald collection at www.northcott.com next month, and the fun quilt patterns that feature the collection. Please leave a comment on my blog by 11:59 tonight Thursday September 6th for a chance to win a kit for these 4 pillowcases.
Along with supporting Quilts for Kids, and breast cancer research through our Quest for a Cure program, Northcott is proud to sponsor and support the One Million Pillowcase Challenge. A colorful pillowcase is really a small investment in time and fabric, but can make a world of difference to someone in need. Please consider making a pillowcase (or 2 or 3) this month during the One Million Pillowcase Blog Tour, and add yours to the tally. Let’s see how far we grow! There are some wonderful stops on the blog tour – see if you can visit all of them!
1. Welcome from American Patchwork & Quilting (http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/blogs/apqstaff/)
2. Rashida Coleman-Hale (http://www.iheartlinen.typepad.com/)
3. Olivia and Alayna’s Pillowcase Project (http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/blogs/apqstaff/)
4. Morgan’s Smile Factory (http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/blogs/apqstaff/)
5. Pat Sloan (http://blog.patsloan.com/)
6. Northcott (http://pattispatchwork.com/)
7. Betsy Chutchian (http://betsysbestquiltsandmore.blogspot.com/)
8. Vanessa Christenson (http://www.vanessachristenson.com/)
9. Andover Fabrics (http://blog.andoverfabrics.com/)
10. Laurie Simpson (http://minickandsimpson.blogspot.com/)
11. Oak Hill, Ohio (http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/blogs/apqstaff/)
12. Robert Kaufman Fabrics (http://www.swatchandstitch.com/)
13. Pam Buda (http://www.heartspunquilts.blogspot.com/)
14. Indygo Junction (http://www.indygojunction.com/blog/)
15. 4-H (http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/blogs/apqstaff/)
16. Katie Hennagir (http://baywindowquiltshop.wordpress.com/)
17. Anni Downs (http://hatchedandpatched.typepad.com/)
18. FreeSpirit Fabrics (http://www.freespiritfabric.blogspot.com/)
19. American Patchwork & Quilting Staff (http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/blogs/apqstaff/)
20. Patty Young (http://modkidboutique.blogspot.com/)
21. Moda Fabrics (http://modafabrics.blogspot.com/)
22. Monica Solorio-Snow (http://thehappyzombie.com/blog/)
23. Moda Bake Shop (http://www.modabakeshop.com/)
24. Andover Fabrics (http://blog.andoverfabrics.com/)
25. Roseann Kermes from Rosebud’s Cottage (http://rosebudscottage.typepad.com/)
26. Ann Kelle for Shannon Fabrics (http://www.annkelle.com/category/blog/)
27. Therm O Web (http://blog.thermoweb.com/)
28. Edyta Sitar (http://www.laundrybasketquilts.com/blog/)
29. Fabri-Quilt (http://inspiredbyfabric.blogspot.com/)
30. Cherri House (www.cherryhousequilts.com)